Gooey 5 cheese grilled cheese sandwich slathered with pesto, and sliced tomato.
- 1 cup grated Dubliner cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- ¾ cup grated asiago cheese
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 1½ tbsp butter, softened
- 8 ¾ inch thick slices of sourdough bread
- Preheat a large saute pan or flat griddle on low heat.
- Combine all cheese, except provolone in a medium bowl. Mix to combine.
- On one side of each slice of bread, spread ½ tbsp of pesto.
- On the other side of each slice of bread, spread ½ tbsp of mayo. *See note*
- Melt the butter in the pan or griddle, making sure to spread it evenly.
- Add 4 slices of bread to the pan or griddle, mayo side down.
- On top of each slice of bread, layer on one slice of provolone, ⅛ of the cheese mixture, 2-3 slices of tomato, and another ⅛ of the cheese mixture.
- Take the remaining 4 slices of bread, and put them on top of the 4 slices in the pan or griddle with the mayo side facing up.
- Press lightly or place a heavy bottom pan on top of the sandwiches. *See note*
- Turn the heat up to medium, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- When the bottom of the grilled cheese is golden brown, flip it over.
- Cook for an additional 4-6 minutes. Serve when golden brown.
- Once you have both sides slathered, I recommend standing the bread on its side. If you bread is thick enough, it should stand upright.
- Putting a heavy bottomed pan on top of the sandwiches helps to press them down. Be careful not to press too hard, otherwise the filling with come out.
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grilled cheese, dubliner cheese, cheddar cheese, feta, provolone, asiago, monterey jack, 5 cheese, gooey, pesto, mayo, roma tomatoes, sandwich